Monday, August 17, 2015

Midnight's Children 2012

This is possibly the best of Deepa Mehta's movies. Rushdie's novel is an inspired flight in which he expresses his own enrapturement with with the country of his birth, through this magical portrayal of the post independence period up to the time of writing. Deepa Mehta does justice to the poetic novel, a kind of Indian Kipling. Rushdie is a man of fusion of cultures with overflowing zest for life, and a sentimentality which is only possible for those at a nostalgic remove.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably because I read the novel right before watching the film, I was dissatisfied with the movie version, but this is an admirable attempt to adapt Rushdie's epic masterpiece anyway.

S. M. Rana said...

It is not a masterpiece. I read the book 20 years ago. I found the film interesting because it pertains to times my generation lived through, as an around midnight kid, so it had a slight documentary feel.